If you have a blog, an online store or a business website, you obviously want to be found online. You may have heard that something called SEO can help you, but what is it about?
For many website owners, SEO is an incomprehensible and even mysterious field. This happens because there is a lot of information on the internet that is not entirely correct or is out of date. In this guide we will tell you how SEO helps you achieve your goals and how to start working on it. But first, let’s see what SEO is and how long it takes. Let us begin!
What is SEO?
SEO (for its acronym in English, Search Engine Optimization) is an area of online marketing aimed at improving the visibility of a website in search engines, specifically in the organic part (not paid). This is achieved by improving the position of your website in the results and creating content that answers specific questions.
SEO is a process made up of several elements that must be constantly worked on. In no case can we define it as the result of a single concrete action. For example, you cannot expect a good position in Google just for having inserted the titles and descriptions of your pages. It is a long-term commitment in order to improve the visibility of your website and attract relevant visits that will not go as soon as they enter.
What is not SEO?
SEO is not just about creating and optimizing your website for search engines (eg inserting a randomly created list of keywords without any context). It is not something that is achieved with a single click and you cannot pay to appear in the first position of the organic results.
What you can do is hire someone to work on the SEO of your page, in this case what you really pay for their work and not the positioning of the page itself.
SEO is not a form of advertising either, it is difficult if not impossible to guarantee that your website will achieve a good organic position, at least at the beginning.
There are forms of advertising such as PPC (Pay Per Click) that directly place your website in the payment results. However, it is a completely different area. In this series of articles we will focus on how to optimize your presence in organic results
How long does SEO take?
As we have already mentioned, SEO is a long-term process and is not achieved with a single click. However, a well thought out strategy will make the process of getting a good position much easier.
Each type of business or website has its peculiarities. There is no seo expert in delhi ncr that works for all websites. The SEO strategy needs to be adapted to your website and requires time, a lot of attention and also some patience.
When you work on the SEO of your website it is good to take into account the following factors:
- Google does not react immediately: Changes you make to your web page are indexed in Google’s database with a little delay. The quality of your website is subsequently evaluated.
- The prestige and credibility of your website play an important role: Web pages that have a high quality content for years will always have an advantage over a new page. Your website is also evaluated against the pages of the competition.
- The rules of the game are not clear: The algorithms that Google uses to decide which pages and in what order each website is displayed are not publicly accessible. All suggestions to improve positioning are the product of experience on other web pages, therefore they are considered effective and relevant.
- SEO is constantly updated: Not only does Google change the rules from time to time, the expectations of its users do too. Now we use the internet in a completely different way than we did before (eg we have pages optimized for mobile phones), so we cannot continue to use the same SEO techniques that were used before.
- SEO has to be worked on continuously: You can’t expect to pay an SEO agency for an analysis, make some changes here and there, and never deal with SEO again. An action like this can have a positive impact for some time, but it will not work in the long term. It is necessary to continuously work on your website without leaving it for long periods of time.
- The content strategy: Content marketing is not something that can be rushed. If you have decided to take this path, you have to spend time and effort to create a plan for months ahead.
- The space for organic results is shrinking: Gone are the days when results had few ads and ten organic results. Now Google shows additional information such as maps, weather reports, song lyrics, definitions … All this takes up space, therefore many websites are moved to the second page of the search engine.
- Sometimes there is a lot of competition: If you work in a field with a lot of competition, it will be more difficult to break through. Especially if you don’t have a unique value proposition (USP – Unique Selling Proposition) or money to invest in content.
As you can see, SEO is not just about setting something up on your website. You have to make a long-term plan and work constantly to improve the positioning of your website little by little.
The Webnode editor has a good foundation when starting to work on the SEO of your website. Each template has a predefined content based on the type of website you choose (eg hairdresser website, yoga studio, electrician …). The objective is to teach you what type of content is ideal on each page. Over time you can, and should, personalize the content to your needs.